Dynamics 365 Business Central provides a complete business application solution designed and optimized for SMB organizations. It is a cloud-based solution and from October 2018 release, Microsoft has updated Business Central to include on-premises deployments as well. For customers and partners, below key points are required to be considered from upcoming Dynamics 365 Business Central 2019 Release Wave 2:
- Legacy Windows client discontinued: With the 2019 release wave 2, users access Business Central in the browser, Windows 10 desktop app, mobile apps on Android and iOS, or in Outlook. The 2019 release wave 2 is the first version that does not include the Dynamics NAV Client connected to Business Central (also known as the Windows client). The modern clients now support so many productivity features that the Windows client is discontinued for Business Central going forward. The legacy Dynamics NAV client remains supported in the April ’19 update and earlier versions in alignment with the support lifecycle.
- Classic development environment discontinued: The 2019 release wave 2 is the first version that does not include the classic development environment (also known as C/SIDE). The modern developer experience based on Visual Studio Code with Azure DevOps, and an AL language that supports an extension-based approach to customization, now supports developing large apps such as the base application from Microsoft, and so C/SIDE is discontinued for Business Central going forward. The classic development environment remains supported in the April ’19 update and earlier versions in alignment with the support lifecycle.
- Empower ISV acceleration: The 2019 release wave 2 update delivers a set of features designed to simplify ISV development for new solutions and, specifically, for streamlining the migration from the source code customization model of Dynamics NAV to Business Central. The Dynamics NAV business has been driven by strong vertical ISV solutions, surrounded by add-on solutions. For the 2019 release wave 2 update, Microsoft focus will be streamlining the path for ISVs to bring their solutions—and in turn their customers—to Business Central online.
- Customer migration tools: After enabling Dynamics NAV ISVs to bring their solutions to Business Central online, the next step is to simplify the journey for existing Dynamics SMB customers coming from Dynamics NAV, Dynamics GP, or Dynamics SL to migrate from their current on-premises solutions to Business Central online. A set of tools already exists; these will be enhanced with the 2019 release wave 2.
- Application enhancements: Microsoft is introducing many enhancements in Dynamics 365 Business Central 2019 Release Wave 2. Here are some of them:
|Enhancement||Feature Value||Business Value|
|Carry line descriptions to general ledger entries when posting||From the General Ledger Setup page, you can choose the Source Description Posting Setup action to define for sales, purchase, and service documents whether the line description text is carried to the resulting item ledger entries depending on the line type. Note that when you select to copy source line descriptions to the resulting entries, such G/L entries will also be grouped per document line||When reconciling or auditing data such as expenses, it is useful to see the source document line description in the general ledger entries.|
|Reconcile payables using the External Doc. No field in the Vendor Detail Trial Balance, Balance to Date, and Open Entries reports||You can now reconcile accounts payable using the External Document Number field in the Vendor Detail Trial Balance, Balance to Date, and Open Entries reports||Using the External Document Number or the Vendor Invoice Number field in accounts payable reports greatly simplifies analysis and reconciliation of accounts payable for small businesses.|
|Use the Copy document function even when some lines are blocked||When using the Copy document function to create new documents based on existing documents, you are now notified if any items or resources on the source document lines are blocked. The blocked document lines are excluded from the new document. The notification shows an overview of all document lines that are blocked in the source document.|
|Aged Accounts Payable report has a refreshed layout and includes External Document Number field||The Aged Accounts Payable report has a refreshed, modern layout. You can now analyze data in the Aged Accounts Payable report based on the External Document Number field.||The Aged Accounts Payable report is a tool for managing small business debt, planning your cash flow, and scheduling payments. It is important to have this information provided in a clear and flexible manner.|
|Add links to your navigation menu||Bookmark a link to any page in Business Central, and add the link to the navigation menu of your Home page.||Business Central is ready to adapt to the unique needs of each business, department, and user. Desktop users are fully empowered to optimize their workspace to support their daily tasks and the most common data they work with.|
|Add notes and links to data||You can add internal notes to business data that is captured and processed in Business Central online. Notes are shown next to the card data, and you can add, edit, and delete notes. You can also insert hyperlinks to online content to card pages, opening up even more advanced scenarios.||An ability to add notes that represent slightly more unstructured data is essential in modern business applications. Notes and links are already available for on-premises deployments of Business Central and now bring these capabilities to the online world as well, enriching its capabilities to store data in the cloud|
|Explore capabilities of Business Central||Finding functionality becomes easier with a full overview of pages in the product based on the content of the various Role Centers. This makes it much easier for users to navigate and find the right page, and it serves as an overview of Role Centers and their content. As a supplement to using the current Role Center navigation bar, the command bar, or Tell Me, this new overview brings the different areas of Business Central closer to you so that you can stay focused and productive||Finding pages or features in an easy navigation structure is essential for all users. While the navigation bar is very prominent and useful, it doesn’t offer an expanded view. Similarly, prospects commonly request a high-level overview of what’s in the product. Role Center navigation defines this structure already, but it is now presented in a more prominent way allowing the user to explore.|
On the Business Central Ideas website, users of the solution can make suggestions for improvements or request new functionality. These requests and suggestions are largely the basis for the two major updates launched each year by Business Central. As a customer or partner you can also make your suggestions or idea on https://experience.dynamics.com/ideas/categories/?forum=e288ef32-82ed-e611-8101-5065f38b21f1&forumName=Dynamics%20365%20Business%20Central